Thursday, April 15, 2010

16:9 or 16:10 WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Ill keep it short



Last thursday i went out and bought this monitor form Best Buy



http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9218786%26st=Hannspree+%40)%26lp=2%26type=product%26cp=1%26id=1218061081362



I thought it would be good for gaming but the resolution isn't that good and my games are very stretched, especially Medieval 2 total war. I believe this is because of the extreme 16:9 Wide screen ratio.



I am planning on returning this to best buy on Monday and pick up this 16:10

Gateway monitor while it is on sale.



http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8894093%26type=product%26id=1211587387624



What do you guys think?





Thank you for reading this and will appreciate any reply16:9 or 16:10 WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
16:10 is nice, but you shouldn't be paying a lot of extra money for it.16:9 or 16:10 WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
[QUOTE=''Lukemaneiro'']16:10 is nice, but you shouldn't be paying a lot of extra money for it.[/QUOTE]



Do u have a 16:10 monitor? if so what do u think of it
There's not really much to tell here, it's just a little wider than the other.You shouldn't bother trading your 16:9, it's fine the way it is.
16:10 isn't worth extra money. I have it it's just a little wider if that helps :P

Plus some games don't support 16:9, those are usually lazy console ports.
I have a 16:10 monitor, and I like it a lot. If you got the money, go for it, in fact, go for a 24'' screen. Games look fantastic on this resolution. I was playing games at 1024x768 resolution earlier, so this is a huge improvement for me.
Aren't most monitors 16:10 anyway?



And you aren't paying more money for a 16:10, your paying more money on the monitor itself. The screen ratio really doesn't impact price. Chandul, you use Internet Explorer? :P
I have a 16:10 monitor and its great. Its wierd looking at a 16:9 screen though as everything seems squashed.
Aren't most monitors 16:10 anyway??? I thought 16:9 was just for T.V
I wouldn't run out and replace it with a more expensive monitor just to get 16:10, even knowing that more games might support it. For computers, 16:9 is a relatively new thing. So it may be a while before the majority of PC games support new 16:9 resolutions.But at the same time you've got multiplatform games like FEAR2 coming out where you can choose your 16:10 resolution in the settings (1680x1050 for me) and not actually get it. The game literally only does 16:9 and will itself show you black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The actual image is something like 1680x945 for me.I was a somewhat early adopter into the land of widescreen for PC. So I've been dealing with games that ''don't fit'' for a while now. By default if your resolution is not available you of course have to choose something lower and let the monitor stretch it out. This usually looks like crap, but there is another option.Being an NVIDIA user, I set the control panel's ''flat panel scaling'' option to ''Do not scale''. I'm not sure if the ATI software has a similar option, but the point is this: For games that don't offer me my 1680x1050, I choose the highest resolution offered that will fit on screen. A lot of times this is 1280x1024. It will be centered on screen with black bars around it, but the image will be crisp.
I like my 16:10, 16:9 is nice for watching Movies but its not good for Games.
YEah, as you can see, worth to pay for a 16:10.
[QUOTE=''lettuceman44'']Aren't most monitors 16:10 anyway?



And you aren't paying more money for a 16:10, your paying more money on the monitor itself. The screen ratio really doesn't impact price. Chandul, you use Internet Explorer? :P[/QUOTE]



On my gaming PC, yes, I use Internet Explorer. On this machine (laptop, I use firefox).
Buy this :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112011You WILL NOT find a better monitor for this price. I am using it right now, had about 2 months, it is amazing.
[QUOTE=''chandu83''][QUOTE=''lettuceman44'']Aren't most monitors 16:10 anyway?



And you aren't paying more money for a 16:10, your paying more money on the monitor itself. The screen ratio really doesn't impact price. Chandul, you use Internet Explorer? :P[/QUOTE]



On my gaming PC, yes, I use Internet Explorer. On this machine (laptop, I use firefox).[/QUOTE]



Ok i think most of the people are saying what i think and 19:10 is better for games. I am definetly taking my 20'' 19:9 back early tomorrow morning then. I have looked at reviews and i thikn the gateway i am looking at is very good. What do you guys think about the replacement monitor i have in mind ?
[QUOTE=''trijity'']Buy this :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112011You WILL NOT find a better monitor for this price. I am using it right now, had about 2 months, it is amazing.[/QUOTE]



Nice but i don't want to do generic brand. I would rather go with a better well know brand
Don't be scared of generic! with over 400+ newegg reviews it has a 4/5 star rating, that is quite commendable :) Considering the gateway you want with 3/5 with 22 people reviewing it =/ (not trying to say anything mean...just sayin the facts)
[QUOTE=''trijity'']Don't be scared of generic! with over 400+ newegg reviews it has a 4/5 star rating, that is quite commendable :) Considering the gateway you want with 3/5 with 22 people reviewing it =/ (not trying to say anything mean...just sayin the facts)[/QUOTE]



yea i noticed thank. Thanks for the input but remember not everyone who bought that monitor left a review and it seems like with best buy most people who leave reviews only do because they were unsatisfied with their product.

I have messaged people on YouTube who own that gateway and they say the like it. I also found these reviews.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBa8poU3ig



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDC2JgFmSY
16:10 ftw! \o/ - 1920x1200
My 16:10 is really great. I recommend you get one if the extra cost isn't really a bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment