Thursday, April 15, 2010

Steam pricing???????

Ok, well, I felt like a dumbass, I bought left 4 dead about 2 days ago off of Steam for 50$......I then for some reason had the urge to go to newegg, I saw the hard copy of Left 4 dead with free shipping FOR 28$. Newegg selling for almost 50% off.....I did a look and almost ALL games on newegg are cheaper than steam, some ridiculously. Dawn of war 2/ steam = 50$ / newegg = 28$. I mean, wtf? And all games are free shipping to...I have a question then, if I click the little ''add non-Steam game'' on steam. Will Steam still automatically do all the updates and everything to that game? or would I have to purchase it through them?Steam pricing???????
For Steam games, like L4D or DoW2 ... yes, auto update will work. For non-Steam games , the answer is No.



I never played L4D (not an FPS lover) but one of my friend bought L4D (here in India) at $18 (Indian retail price of L4D) and then added it's serial to Steam... voila, he is enjoying the same experience and facilities like US or Europe customers but at very low cost. :DSteam pricing???????
It depends on the game. Gradually developers are starting to wake up to the fact that Steam is gaining popularity, and so they give you the option to add a non Steam game to your Steam account. Take Unreal Tournament 3 for example, you can buy that at retail, run it without Steam but if you want you can input the CD in Steam and then Steam will handle all the updates and everything like a normal Steam game. Other games require Steam even if you bought them for retail. The ones I know of are: Left4Dead, Empire Total War and Dawn of War 2; Steam will treat them as normal Steam games with auto updates etc. I believe you can also activate Dawn of War 1 content using CD keys for online play if you buy one game on Steam but I'm not totally sure on that.
Depends on the game. All retail VALVe games (which, sadly, includes L4D) can be activated on Steam. Only a handful of other publishers games (UTIII for example) can currently be activated on Steam.
I never buy anything on Steam. You can usually find better pricing else where. Here are a list of games that can be activated on steam. To me steam updates games slowly.https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601#which
So basically if Steam will treat most retail games the same, just never buy from Steam again? I mean, I love steam but the price differences between them and newegg is just silly, almost 50% off??? And it's not on sale?...wow.
[QUOTE=''trijity'']So basically if Steam will treat most retail games the same, just never buy from Steam again? I mean, I love steam but the price differences between them and newegg is just silly, almost 50% off??? And it's not on sale?...wow.[/QUOTE]

steam is only really good for games that you can't find anywhere else due to it's age IMO.
[QUOTE=''trijity'']So basically if Steam will treat most retail games the same, just never buy from Steam again? I mean, I love steam but the price differences between them and newegg is just silly, almost 50% off??? And it's not on sale?...wow.[/QUOTE]



If you are talking about L4D, DoW2 or similar games that are dependent on Steam, then you can buy from Retail, then add it to Steam and you are ready for Steam Auto-update feature. This way you'll save money as well as you can avail Steam services. :P
[QUOTE=''_Pedro_''][QUOTE=''trijity'']So basically if Steam will treat most retail games the same, just never buy from Steam again? I mean, I love steam but the price differences between them and newegg is just silly, almost 50% off??? And it's not on sale?...wow.[/QUOTE] steam is only really good for games that you can't find anywhere else due to it's age IMO. [/QUOTE]It's also great when they have discounts, or for Australian gamers like me (the games are sometimes cheaper on Steam - but not always).

No comments:

Post a Comment