Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Poll on Steam service, and your thoughts!

Steam has made a name for itself for the past few years but I wanna know what you guys think about it.To be honest I personally dont like a lot of parts that come with it. They seem to be really poor when a person has a problem, I sent them an E Mail days ago and havent heard anything from them since......And thats after spending almost ?00 on games, and the customer service is pretty damn poor along with the forums, you have to make an account for your games, support and forums, wtf is the point? Why not one account to rule them all! (Lord of The Rings yes I know)Also really hate how they seem to lock you down with games despite being overpriced for the most part, I can get most of the games from Steam for 1/3 of the price off play.com, and I dont have to deal with the huge download, poor tech support and no box to go with it. I just think its far to overpriced for little benifit.Not to say all is bad though, the games 'seem' to patch themselves although to be honest some of the games I have ran look like old unpatched builds, guess its cool to download, and the community is pretty good for getting into matches and making buddys. Plus you can get some great deals at times.So whats your opinion on Steam? Do you like the service as a whole or think that they need to sharpen it up?Poll on Steam service, and your thoughts!
The only gripe I have with steam is it's handling of 3rd party games and patches. Not all have issues, but some you have to wait days(even weeks) for patches to hit. I am not sure if it's always steam's fault, but either way the end result is retail people get patches right away and steam users sometimes have to wait.



I voted ''good'' anyways, because overall I am pleased.Poll on Steam service, and your thoughts!
No, I don't like it very much. I prefer to have enough independence to go out in the store and buy a game if I have to.I wouldn't like to see one single company controlling all game sales.Oh, and about the service, it's good, but needs to be sharpened up.
I love steam.
Steam is great. I like how you can get deals at times like 50% off and stuff like that. Though, I don't like the idea of one controlling the sales of games and I don't like to buy software without getting a box and CD or DVD. I like to have stuff.
I like it but the help service is poor.
Its good, but it still has a lot to fix.
Prices seem to drop in stores faster than they do on Steam. I do think Steam is a great service, but personally I like to have the box and cd/dvd. Given the option I will always buy from a store first, but it's good that there's an alternative in the case that you can't find what you're looking for anywhere else.
I like Steam and use it frequently, but it still has some issues. First off, the servers can't seem to handle the load of 20 million+ users. There are often problems with downloading games or patches, with occasional stalls. Secondly, the currency conversion makes Steam games really expensive to foreigners. Thirdly, as others have mentioned, Steam prices always seem a little bit high, which is why I'm so happy to finally see some competition from other servicies. For instance, there are a number of things which I prefer from Impulse, an alternative digital distribution service which is quickly growing, such as their GOO-DRM and consistently fast downloads. That having been said, as a whole I would say Steam is currently the best digital distribution platform, offering the greatest selection of games with a slick user interface and some really nice community features. I wish more people would give other platforms such as Impulse and GOG a try though, they have gotten much better in the last few months!
i love it. i've been using it from the day of Half-Life 2's release, and I've never had any problems with it at all. top notch.
I like it. I don't mind not having a physical copy when I can re-download anytime I want. Plus no more lost CD keys or long install times. One thing that would be nice is if you could activate more retail games that you bought in the past before they appared on Steam. They allowed it with UT3, I wish they would with more games.
Steam is awesome. Ive used it for about 3 years with no problems at all (other then COD:WAW getting updates a few days later on the steam version).Steam is friggin awesome and i dont see why people hate it so much, its never once caused any problems for me or my mates.I use steam to buy games probably about half the time, while the other half are store bought versions. Never had a problem backing up or playign steam games.
[QUOTE=''dnuggs40'']The only gripe I have with steam is it's handling of 3rd party games and patches. Not all have issues, but some you have to wait days(even weeks) for patches to hit. I am not sure if it's always steam's fault, but either way the end result is retail people get patches right away and steam users sometimes have to wait. I voted ''good'' anyways, because overall I am pleased.[/QUOTE]Its more the company who made the game then it is steam from what ive heard. I know for COD:WAW, Tryarch/activision has to send the patch to steam, so steam cant post it until they get it from the company. But i do agree with ya, waiting for a patch for some 3rd party games is annoying.
steam is great. i like steam a lot. i play games all the time.
steam has worked very well for me since I had it for about 3 months now. It was down once for about 10 minutes. Other than this its been flawless. I just wish they had more sports games. I like the fact you don't have to put in a disc.
[QUOTE=''kozzy1234''][QUOTE=''dnuggs40'']The only gripe I have with steam is it's handling of 3rd party games and patches. Not all have issues, but some you have to wait days(even weeks) for patches to hit. I am not sure if it's always steam's fault, but either way the end result is retail people get patches right away and steam users sometimes have to wait. I voted ''good'' anyways, because overall I am pleased.[/QUOTE]Its more the company who made the game then it is steam from what ive heard. I know for COD:WAW, Tryarch/activision has to send the patch to steam, so steam cant post it until they get it from the company. But i do agree with ya, waiting for a patch for some 3rd party games is annoying.[/QUOTE]



Yeah the issue probably varies from game to game...the latest for me is Sacred 2. According to Ascaron, they game steam the patch over a week ago, though we won't get it due to the person at steam who is responsible for it is on vacation until next Monday. Of course there could be more to the story, and I did write to Valve for more info (no response). Either way, stinks for me.
I've only had the late patch issue once, and I can't remember what game it was for. The Steam app itself is really nice, and their recent decisions when it comes to putting games on sale has been superb. Best part about Steam is the games no limit to how many times you can re-download them.
I would love to see a list of ''known issues'' on the game page.
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
  • black heads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment